Doubt from Chemical Bonding

chemical-bonding
moderate
energy
finding-stability
pp
unsolved

Justify this statement whether correct or incorrect .
He_2 ^+ has the same energy as two isolated He atoms.

2 Likes

@Raghudevram_Singh @Viraam_Rao @Chirag_Hegde

Dont know the answer, but how can a barely stable molecule be at the same energy level as two stable inert gas atoms??

2 Likes

yeah truely said but the google results say that it is almost as stable as two isolated He atoms with one site saying that this is due to the formation of bond ? :thinking::thinking:
See this @Supreeta_Sen @arush_kumar_singh

Is there something we can say with the help of bond order which are 1/2 and 1 respectively?

How can 2 isolated He atoms form a chemical bond?
Chemistry is weirder than me.

Wow. No idea bro. Something to ponder about :thinking:

1 Like

He_2^{2+} has bond order 0.5 while He_2 has covalent bond order zero, but there exists Vanderwaal interaction, so there is bond formation in He_2^{2+} in which energy is released and stability in increased, and they are as much as stable He_2.

I do not agree with this, but I 'had' to except this.

I did this question wrong when solved at embibe, there was no solution given there then.

2 Likes

Okay I too am not satisfied by this explanation ...
Will search more if possible.

1 Like

Didnt know ki itna tough hoga ye question. I thought you guys might hv done previous year atleast twice as it is a Jee adv question.

Which year??

2016 h bhai naya taza

3 Likes

If anyone could check solutions provided by resonance and other institutes for this question...

Yeah but in Arihant 39 years it is given that the former is more stable than the later

1 Like

Arihant has lot of mistakes

2 Likes

totally confused guys.. koi to batao

Haan toh galat hai na D, phir kya chaap hai??

@Lavesh_Gupta He2 nahi diya hai, two isolated He atoms. Since they are isolated, van der waals forces wont't exist

In Bansal Module, that option is given as answer.